East Lulworth

A  Registered One-Place Study and part of the Dorset OPC Network

News - 1824


The Morning Post - Saturday, 18 December 1824

H.R.H. The Duke of Gloucester at Lulworth

WAREHAM, Dec. 15 - On Sunday last, his Royal Highness the Duke of Gloucester attended divine service at the parish church of East Lulworth whose ancient pyramidical tower rising above the laurel groves that surround the spot where

“Each in his narrow cell for ever laid

The rude forefathers of the hamlet sleep,”

proudly rivals the battlements of the adjacent palace.

It was one of those beautiful days, in which Winter, flinging aside his robe of clouds and storms, wreathes his hoary brows with a garland of sunbeams, and wins the idle wood-blast to breathe on its Æolian harp, a melancholy but melodious hymn to the morning. At the appointed hour the Church was filled with an attentive and devout assembly, and a choir from a neighbouring village attended, to assist by their harmonic powers in the service of the Sabbath, and pay an additional honour to his Royal Highness.

A number of parsonages are daily visiting his Royal Highness the Duke of Gloucester, at Lulworth Castle. His Royal Highness enjoys his shooting, and appears in excellent health.

As proof of the mildness of the season a white butterfly was seen on Sunday last sporting on the beautiful domain near Lu;worth Castle.