Copyright Martin White 2011-2016

East Lulworth

A  Registered One-Place Study and part of the Dorset OPC Network

Directories


1855 - Post Office Directory

1865 - Harrod’s Directory

1870-72 - Imperial Gazeteer

1880 Kelly’s Directory

1931 Kelly’s Directory


Kellys Directory 1931


EAST LULWORTH is a parish, 4 miles south-east from Wool station on the Bournemouth and weymouth section of the Southern Railway and 6 miles south-west from Wareham, situated on the shore of the English Channel, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Winfrith, rural district of Wareham and Purbeck, county court district of Swanage, petty sessional division of Wareham, rural deanery of Purbeck, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone in the late perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells, the earliest of which dates from 1587: in the church are several escutcheons of the Weld family, and a tablet to William Baring esq. M.P. fourth son of Sir Francis Baring, who was drowned here 19 July, 1820: the chancel and nave were rebuilt in 1863, and the tower was restored in 1900. The view from the church and its grounds looking towards the sea in Arishmel cove is uniquely beautiful. The tower of the church is strikingly massive and grand: there are 188 sittings. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, with that of Coombe Keynes annexed, joint net yearly value £364, with residence, in the gift of Herbert J. Weld esq. But pro hâc vice the University of Oxford, and held since 1929 by the Rev. Henry Lawrence Phillips of Queens College, Birmingham. St. Mary’s Roman Catholic church here was the first built in England after the Reformation, and was erected in 1792 by special permission of George III, by Thomas Weld esq. By workmen specially brought from Rome; it is a circular edifice of stone in the Italian style: the altar is of marble, richly carved, and on either side of it are two very fine oil paintings: Archbishop Carroll, of Baltimore, the first Roman Catholic bishop in America, was consecrated here in 1794 by Bishop Walmesley O.S.B.: It is at present (1931) served by the Rev. Bernard Tracy, who resides in the parish. Near the village is a Roman Catholic cemetery, formed in 1860. Many relics of antiquity have been found within the parish in barrows, supposed to be of British origin; and on top of a perpendicular cliff, 600 feet in height, are the ramparts of a strong hill fort, commonly called “Ring’s Hill,” or “Flower’s Barrow.” Lulworth Castle is the residence of Herbert Joseph Weld esq. J.P.: it is of stone, with a circular tower at each corner, and is situated in a park 0f 640 acres, surrounded by a wall 4 miles in circumference; in 1929 the castle was destroyed by fire, little but the shell remiaing: it was partly rebuilt for occupation in 1931: the house, as it stood before the fire, was built from the ruins of Mount Poynings and Bindon Abbey by Thomas Howard, Viscount Bindon, the foundations being laid 1588 and the work finished about the year 1609, but little of the interior was completed until it became by purchase the property of the Weld family: it has been honoured by the presence of James I, Charles II, James II, when Duke of York, George III, George IV, when Prince of Wales, and has been the residence of H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester, the French King, Charles X, and the late Sir Robert Peel bart. And in 1902 was visited by H.M. The late King Edward VII. Herbert Joseph Weld esq. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The area is 2,304 acres of land and 12 of tidal water and foreshore; the population in 1921 was 271.

Parish Clerk, George Sturmey

Post, T. & VT.E.D. Office. Letters through Wareham.

 West Lulworth nearest M.O. Office

Police Station


PRIVATE RESIDENTS


Fanning Miss

Fanning Very Rev. Canon Michael

Marriott-Doddington Hugh J.P. Linden

Phillips Rev. Henry Lawrence (vicar), The Vicarage

Tracy Rev. Bernard (Roman Catholic), The Presbytery

Weld Herbert Joseph J.P. Lulworth castle

Williams Mrs., The Old Monastery


COMMERCIAL


Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over


Andreson Maurice Calre B., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., physcn. & surgn. (attends mon. thurs. & Sat)

Bonham Edwin, Weld Arms P.H

*Cobb Jsph. farmer, Home & Monastery farms

Copp Wilfred J. grocer,  post office. T N 1

Crocker Herbert George, farmer, Botany farm

Courtenay & Snell, physcns. & surgns. (attend tues & fri. 11.30 a.m.)

Farrow & Sons, grocers

Macdonald Ian Somerled, agent to Lulworth Castle Estate. T N West Lulworth 2

O’Hare Hugh G. newsagent, cycle & accessories dealer & handy stores

Strowbridge & Bennett, beekeepers

Sturmey Chas. Farmer, Elm farm


Top