East Lulworth

A  Registered One-Place Study and part of the Dorset OPC Network

Directories


1855 - Post Office Directory

1865 - Harrod’s Directory

1870-72 - Imperial Gazeteer

1880 Kelly’s Directory

1931 Kelly’s Directory


Kellys Directory 1880


EAST LULWORTH is a parish, in the hundred of Winfrith, union of Wareham and Purbeck, county court district of Wareham, Wareham petty sessional division, rural deanery of Dorchester third portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury, 6 miles south-west from Wareham, situated on the shore of the English Channel. The church of St. Andrew has chancel, nave and an ancient square embattled tower, containing 3 bells, the earliest of which dates from 1587: the tower is a very handsome structure in the late Perpendicular style: the chancel and nave were rebuilt in 1864: it contains several escutcheons of the Weld family, and a tablet to the memory of one of the Barings. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, yearly value about £148, in the gift of R.J. Weld esq. and held by the Rev. Walter Kendall, B.A. of Oriel College, Oxford. There is a large Catholic chapel and spacious Catholic schools, which were erected by the late E.J. Weld esq. Many relics of antiquity have been found within the parish in barrows supposed to be of British origin; and on top of a perpendicular cliff of 700 feet are the ramparts of a strong hill fort, commonly called RING’S HILL, or FLOWER’S BARROW. Lulworth Castle, the seat of Reginald Joseph Weld esq. is an imposing and massive stone structure, with a noble circular tower at each corner, and is situated in a beautiful wooded park, surrounded by a wall 4 miles in circumference; it was built from the ruins of Mount Poynings and Bindon Abbey by Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, and was finished about the year 1860, when it became, by purchase, the property of the Weld family: it has been honoured with the presence of James I, Charles II, James II, when Duke of York, George III and George IV when Prince of Wales, and has been the residence of H.R.H. The Duke of Gloucester, and also of the French King, Charles X, and the late Sir Robert Peel bart. Reginald Joseph Weld esq. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The area, including West Lulworth, is 4,364 acres; rateable value of East Lulworth, £1,761; and of West Lulworth, £1,664; the population, in 1871, was 385.

Parish Clerk, William Wilson


POST OFFICE - George Knight, receiver. Letters arrive from Wareham at 8.30am; dispatched at 6.00pm. The nearest money order office is at Wareham. Wool is the nearest telegraphic office.


SCHOOLS -

National, Mrs Ann Trent, mistress

Catholic, taught by ladies from the nunnery



Johnson Rev. William [Catholic]

Kendall Rev. Walter BA [vicar]

Weld Reginald Joseph, Lulworth castle

Weld Shireburn Joseph, Lulworth castle

Bascomb James, clerk of works to R.J. Weld esq

Bates John Joseph, land steward to Reginald Joseph Weld esq. & land agent & surveyor

Champ Chas. Weld Arms & farmer

Knight George, baker, grocer & provision merchant, & post office

Lawrence Thos. Grocer & ironmonger

Mead John, farmer

Penny Henry, farmer

Rolls George, shoe maker

Searley Robert, farmer


Top